Thursday, April 30, 2009

An Artifact from the Future

I just turned over a thousand miles on my smart! The car is still a lot of fun to drive and I've had no problems to report.

Everywhere I go the smart gets a lot of attention. I met my daughter at Firestone yesterday to get a tire on her car replaced. All of the guys from the shop came out to see the smart. They even asked to see the engine. One of them knew it was made by Mercedes and had a safety cage.
They all seemed to like it but said it was too small to fit on their lifts.

I catch lots of other drivers staring open-mouthed at my smart like they've never seen anything like it before. I"m afraid I'll cause an accident! Lots of drivers give thumbs up or shout "I like your car!" I haven't had any negative gestures or remarks yet. Maybe it's because I'm such a positive person? People of all ages are always asking about the car in parking lots. I've given away quite a few of the smart handouts.

The positive reactions I'm getting regarding the smart are an indication that this country is ready for a change. People have started to think about ditching the SUV. They know that energy is important economically, environmentally and politically. They know we're headed for a crisis and something needs to be done.

When the iPhone first came out a reviewer described it as "an artifact from the future." It was a paradigm change, so far ahead of the competition it seemed like it came from a time machine.

I've seen the automotive future--I'm driving it.

No comments: