Friday, April 17, 2009

Island of Electronicus






I remember this from about 1973. It was out at Tierra Verde. They played spacey music on Moog Synthesizers. The audience sat on pillows, there was a light show. They served soft drinks--no booze or drugs. It was an attempt to popularize and market Moog's synthesizers.

I met Bob Moog there at one of the concerts. I think that's me in the picture above, seated-second from left. Bob Moog is on stage at the right. Click this post's title bar to go to the source of the photo.

It only lasted a few months, I went two or three times. Each time they played louder and louder, they must not have used ear plugs.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe it was 1971. I remember going there opening night. The St Pete times did quite a story on it and published many pictures and interviews. I used to have several copies of it but have lost them over the years. Really enjoyed the entire concept. In an ironic contrast I remember that Rudy Valley was performing at a club right across the street that very evening.

Unknown said...

Hi, Bob.
My name is Connor O'Neill. I'm a writer working on a story about the Island of Electronicus. if you're up for it, I'd love to talk with you more about what you remember from that concert. Also, Steve, if you see this, I'd love to talk with you, too.
Thanks both!
Connor

steve richardson said...

Connor,
Well it's only been 4 years since your post but I just happen to be looking at the story of late. It's only been 50 years since I went there but I remember the night quite well. As I stated either the times or the evening independent did quite a story on the opening night and I have been trying to locate that story as there were several pictures of my girlfriend and myself.

steve richardson said...

Steve again,
As this post is not showing any contact information I am at sr728150@gmail.com