Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Moving my music to the cloud

Everyone's heard the buzz surrounding "The Cloud," online storage of music, videos, and other user data. It's here and it's going to be huge.

I've been using LALA for a while now. It's a music streaming service with a difference. Like other services they allow you to play samples of music online and download songs for a price. You can listen to any song one time for free. If you like the song you can purchase rights to stream it as many time as you like for ten cents. You can also download the MP3 for 99 cents.

Where LALA is different is that you can "upload" your music library from iTunes and then stream your music as many times as you want for free. They understand that it's your music and you have already purchased the rights to play it. Now you can access your music from the web on any computer that you own. The service is free.

In my case, I have about 26 GB of music in my iTunes library. With the limited storage on my Macbook Air I'm not able to fit it all on the 64 GB SSD. That's where LALA comes in. Now, when I'm connected to the web. I'm able to stream any song in my music library to the Macbook Air.

The latest news is that Apple bought LALA. This is huge! Signs point to this music streaming feature being added to iTunes in the near future. It makes particular sense in light of the impending release of Apple's mythical tablet. Store your music in the cloud instead of your portable device's limited storage.

What's interesting is that LALA uses Adobe Flash on it's web interface, it won't work on the iPhone. This could mean that the iPhone will finally get Flash, or that a lightweight version of LALA without flash is in the works.


No comments: